dayActive todayViewed 28 times1
I am new to using stepper motors and micropython. I am having trouble getting my stepper motor to turn. I am using a raspberry pi pico and a tmc 2208 driver to control my stepper motor. I can hear the coils being powered on and off, but I get no motion.
Here is my script
from machine import Pin import utime direction = Pin(14, Pin.OUT) step = Pin(15, Pin.OUT) enable = Pin(13, Pin.OUT) enable.low() direction.high() def stepOne(): step.high() utime.sleep(0.001) step.low() while True: stepOne() utime.sleep(0.1)
pi-picoShareEditFollowClose 1Flagasked 11 hours agoTristan Verduzco1111 bronze badge New contributor
- 2how much time is
utime.sleep(0.001)? – jsotola 11 hours ago
- 1Nice picture but it does not help me much. A schematic showing all connections including power, power source, etc would help a lot. Post a link to the hardware items that has technical information. I will guess and it sounds like you are short on power, voltage and or current. This can be confirmed with more information. – Gil 10 hours ago
- (1) First thing first, the TMC2208datasheet: trinamic.com/fileadmin/assets/Products/ICs_Documents/… – tlfong01 7 hours ago
- (2) Next, a quick and dirty summary: 2-phase stepper, 32 uSteps, 36VDC, internal current sensing, hard/soft(uart) config, … – tlfong01 7 hours ago
- (3) Get a couple of assembled modules: pt.aliexpress.com/item/… – tlfong01 7 hours ago
Add a comment | Show 6 more comments
(1) First thing first, the TMC2208datasheet: trinamic.com/fileadmin/assets/Products/ICs_Documents/… – tlfong01
(2) Next, a quick and dirty summary: 2-phase stepper, 32 uSteps, 36VDC, internal current sensing, hard/soft(uart) config, … –
(3) Get a couple of assembled modules: pt.aliexpress.com/item/… –
(4) I am too lazy to upload pics in Imrur and link them here. So I cheat by using my answer space.
(5) Skim the module user guide.
(6) Show the Pico + TMC2208 Wiring/Schematic.
(7) Compare and contrast the wiring with a similar and already debugged project, say the very popular A4899, to make sure no important wiring is missing.
A4899 Microstepping Motor Driver Troubleshooting – EESE Q&A 2021apr14
(8) Manual testing, using (a) Manaul jumper wiring, (b) manual configurable PWM sig gen.
A4899 Stepping Motor Driver Test
/ to continue, …
(9) Software testing, using Pico.
For software testing and evaluation, I would recommend the updated version TMC2209, with uart interface.
(Ref 21) TMC2209 stepper Motor Driver Module – TaoBao ¥18
(10) TMC2209 Programming Notes
/ to continue, …
(11) A4988 Datasheet – Allergo
(12) A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Module – AliExpress US$0.6
(13) Fake microstepping in A4899 and LV8729 stepper-drivers? – @GnuReligion, EESE, Asked 2021apr14
(14) What could be the reasons for a stepper motor stuttering with an A4988 driver? [Locked] EESE, Asked 2021apr05
(15) What is better for precision? Stepper motor VS DC Motor [Closed] – EESE 2021apr13
(16) AliExpress HK42BYG250-001 Stepper Motor NEMA17 | High torque 1.2A 38mm stepper motor for 3D printer 42 with speed feedback
(17) Youtube video of A4988 Full Step Performance – tlfong01 2021apr18
(18) RpiMotorLib python library to drive NEMA 17 stepper for A4988 – DiyProjects 2021feb09
(21) TMC2209 stepper Motor Driver Module – TaoBao ¥18
(22) TMC2209 Stepper Motor Driver Module User Guide – Components101
(23) TMC2209 Stepper Motor Driver Datasheet – Trinamic
ShareEditDeleteFlagedited 2 hours agoanswered 7 hours agotlfong014,00733 gold badges88 silver badges2222 bronze badgesAdd a comment
Leave a Reply