Uncategorized

esp8266 notes

I fried Esp8266 Wemos mini with a simple circuit, what am I doing wrong?

Ask QuestionAsked todayActive todayViewed 35 times0

I’m pretty new to electronics, I’m more of a computer guy. I followed this tutorial to create a vibration sensor. My circuit looks like below. When I turned on everything worked, but within a few minutes, I noticed a burning smell and my microcontroller stopped working ever since. I suspect I fried the onboard voltage regulator. I tried providing 3.3v to 3.3v pin, now the esp8266 module is heating up. I am afraid to use a new microcontroller to fry it again with the same circuit. Where am I doing wrong? I checked for a short circuit, my soldering looks okay. Do I need a resistor to D0 of Sw 420?

Thanks

enter image description here

voltage-regulatoresp8266shareedit  follow  flagedited 57 mins agoasked 3 hours agoramesh10111 bronze badge New contributor

  • 2+/- 5V? that means you effectively connected 10V to the 5V input… ya that would do it. Did you measure the input voltage 5V to Gnd at the module? Or is it just an oddly labeled schematic? – vicatcu 3 hours ago 
  • 1maybe something weird happened with the buck converter, since it requires 18 V between the input pins and you supplied only 9 V – jsotola 3 hours ago 
  • 3Did you measure the buck converter output before you connected to the ESP8266 module? It should be 0V (not -5V) and +5V for G and +5 inputs respectively. – Spehro Pefhany 1 hour ago
  • 1Thank you everyone for your comments. My schema was wrong in my original question, I edited with the correct one here. @ChrisStratton: Yes, my board is not actual ESP8266, it’s Wemos D1 mini. I measured the Buck convertor output, the output is 5V to the ground. – ramesh 58 mins ago
  • @ramesh, there seem some confusion. (1) I played with 5 or 6 ESP826612 of 10 different brands or so. The one I usually recommend is Wemos D! mini. (2) I used perhaps 20 different brands of regulator modules, I don’t remember I have seen any terminals labelled “G”. All I see are “+”, ‘-“, ”DC+” “DC-” etc. Never “G”. There must be a reason, of course. – tlfong01 44 mins ago   
  • @ramesh, I have not played with ESP826612 for a long while. So I need to searched my old posts to refresh my memory. I only remember that the USB/TTL adaptor in earlier versions are very confusing, and caused much problems. But I don’t remember hearing comments about frying ESP. – tlfong01 28 mins ago   
  • @ramesh, so now I am reading my old posts: (1) Wemos D1 Mini 1 – rpi.org.forum 2018nov20 raspberrypi.org/forums/… (2) Wemos D1 Mini 2 – rpi.org.forum raspberrypi.org/forums/…. I think I need to read more posts later. As I said WeMOS Mini D1 is very mature. It is so newbie friendly so not that easy to go wrong. – tlfong01 26 mins ago   
  • 1@tlfong01 please stop cluttering the page with irrelevant comments, this ongoing habit of yours across many questions is quite problematic and needs to stop – Chris Stratton 21 mins ago 
  • @ramesh, I skimmed your tutorials and datasheet. The tutorial is good. I made a picture summary for reference in our discussions later:i.imgur.com/0tU4OVZ.jpeg. My first impression is that the wiring and everything else looks OK. – tlfong01 20 mins ago   
  • @ramesh, it would be nice if you can show me a photo of your setup, and which IDE you are using, though I think that it is unlikely that IDE would not cause any trouble.Ah, lunch time. See you late this afternoon, Cheers. – tlfong01 17 mins ago   
  • Before I go, I forgot yo tell you that the SW420 vibration/shake sensor wiring also looks OK. I also need to read my old posts to see if there is anything need to take precaution when playing with shake sensors. I only remember the problems are about sensitivity/resolution.Here is one of a couple of old posts I found so far: Shake and Vibration Sensors – rpi.org.forum 2020jan12, raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/107191/…. cheers. – tlfong01 7 mins ago    
  • @ramesh, in the above vibration sensor post I referred, the sensor is actually connected to some power electronics at 220VAC. That is why I hope to see your hardware setup, just to make sure that no higher voltage source is connected. – tlfong01 45 secs ago   Edit   

add a comment

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.